HOW TO PROSPECT
To prospect effectively first you need to Import or enter
a list of
potential customers in TeleMagic and then manage your contacts
efficiently. Prioritize people, track special interests and
fields to build strong relationships.
You can use TeleMagic to manage more than just your contact
database. You can import existing databases to TeleMagic from
a wide variety of sources. TeleMagic's Import Wizard simplifies
the process of importing databases from any source.
Create a simple format to import TeleMagic files back into
Define the import format by opening the Import Formats selection
box (select File, Import on the menu bar) and clicking
Add. This will open the TeleMagic Import Wizard which
will guide you through the process of creating an import format.
The exact procedure varies according to the choices you make,
but you will always begin by naming the format and selecting
the type of import to be performed. If you choose to create
a TeleMagic for Windows import format, you will make the following
- Whether to import contact or Activity records
- The location of your source file
- Whether to use an expression to select which files are
- Which fields in the source file should be matched to which
fields in the target database (Auto Assign will automatically
identify exact matches), and whether to use expressions
to limit the data imported to each field
- Import Mode
- What to do when data does not meet validation requirements
- What to do with records that already exist in the target
- When to update indexes
- Whether to update calculations upon import
- Whether to update the Last Revision field
- Whether to stamp the notepad and, if so, with what (You
can stamp a literal string here, such as "Imported
by Jennifer Cram", or you can use an expression to
determine how each notepad is stamped. If you use a literal
string, it must be enclosed in quotes.)
- How often to update the status monitor during the import
(The less frequently this is updated, the faster the import
You will be able to change most of the selections that you
made from the Import dialog box. Just select the format name
from the Import Formats dialog box and click Change. The Import
dialog box will open. Click on the tabs to go to the page
where the item you want to change is located and make the
The Contact Manager is the main window into TeleMagic. The
appearance of the program can vary dramatically.
Figure 1. File Import Formats
Figure 2. Maintain Import Formats
This entire screen is fully customizable. Everything from
the type of information shown and how it is displayed, to
the aesthetic presentation of the page can be designed by
Fields in the database can be customized or created by selecting
Add/Edit Fields from the File menu. You can
define the field length, type, and templating using this feature.
There are also some special fields that can be created:
- Recall Field This field is used to set a call
back date and time on a record. You can automatically set
a series of recalls for all contacts in a filter, or set
the recall directly in the field.
- Last Call Field This field records the last time
a call was made using the TeleMagic dialer.
- Fields with Icons These fields provide an icon
next to the field to link to another part of TeleMagic.
- Phone Clicking the icon dials the number in
- Fax Clicking the icon opens the Send Fax window
where you can create cover comments and select documents
to fax to the number in the field.
- Date Clicking the icon opens a calendar where
you can select the date. (If you decide not to display
the century on your date fields, this also lets you
specify the year, removing any year 2000 ambiguity.)
- Activity These fields show information from
activities linked to the contact. Clicking the icon
takes you to the activity.
- E-mai Clicking this icon will open your e-mail
application with the current record's information already
- Newsgroup Clicking this icon will open your
Internet browser and retrieve the indicated newsgroup
- FTP Clicking this icon will open your Internet
browser and go to the indicated FTP site.
- Web Address Clicking this icon will open your
Internet browser and go to the indicated web site.
- Notepad This is a memo field that gets stamped
by TeleMagic when an event occurs for the contact.
- Rollup Lists You can see lists of child records,
activities, and documents linked to the contact.
- Start Field This field records when a record was
added and by whom.
- Last Revision Field This field records when the
last change was made to a record and by whom.
- OLE Fields Used to link or embed graphics, sounds,
movies, files: any OLE compliant field.
- Validated Fields You can create rules that govern
when any field can be changed. These can be simple, such
as making sure the data matches a list of valid entries,
or they can use precise expressions created with the help
of TeleMagic's Expression Builder.
- Calculated/Default Fields These fields let you
perform mathematical calculations on data, summarize other
data, display information based on another field or a combination
of fields, and more.
Contact Manager Power Features
The TeleMagic Contact Manager offers power features when manipulating
- Three level relational database that allows you to store
information related to multiple records only once.
- Create filters and indexes using single fields or powerful
expressions that use multiple fields and variable information.
- Create "on-the-fly" filters using tags or field
- Automatically replace the data in a field for a group
- Delete groups of obsolete records quickly, or recover
records that have been deleted in error.
- Define the unique fields in a record and check for duplicate
records as data is edited, or tag all duplicates in a given
- Reassign lower-level records from one parent to another.
For more information
Call: 1 888 TELEMAGIC